[community] Tor talk/workshop at CJFE Toronto

Alison Macrina alison at libraryfreedomproject.org
Mon Oct 30 17:01:00 UTC 2017

Hi Sukhbir,

Sukhbir Singh:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday (29 Oct) I am giving a Tor talk at the Canadian Journalists for Free
> Expression (CJFE) workshop on digital self defence in Toronto, Canada.
>
>     http://www.cjfe.org/workshop
>     https://blog.torproject.org/events/sukhbir-cjfes-digital-self-defence-2017

This looks awesome.

> I will be talking about secure web browsing, Tor, and Tor Browser to an
> audience of journalists and human rights activists. The duration will be three
> hours and here is the description of the talk:
>
>     The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a
>     distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it
>     prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what
>     sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your
>     physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.
>
>     Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Microsoft Windows, Apple MacOS, or
>     GNU/Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB
>     flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your
>     anonymity, and is self-contained (portable).
>
>     In this workshop, we will discuss secure web browsing and how to maintain
>     your anonymity online using Tor and Tor Browser. This will be an
>     interactive workshop and we will walk through these tools so please feel
>     free to bring your devices (laptop and/or smart phone).
>
> The slides for the talk: feedback is welcome, and let me know if you want me
> to change anything. Be critical, please!
>
>     https://people.torproject.org/~sukhbir/talks/toronto-cjfe-draft1.pdf

This link doesn't appear to be working for me!

> (There is one section remaining on the slides, and that will be on onion
> services.)
>
> Other than the talk and the general discussion on anonymity, I am going to be
> giving a Tor Browser demo. I have planned to show what kind of information can
> be gathered without using Tor, and then later show how Tor Browser prevents
> that. For this, I have planned to show website logs (my own) and browser
> fingerprinting, with and without Tor Browser.
>
> Any other suggestions on how to make the talk more interactive? Or any other
> topics I should talk about? Thanks!

I think this all sounds great. You could start off by asking people to
say what kinds of information they *think* can be seen when not using
Tor. This could be a good way to start things off interactively while
also getting a sense of how much the audience already knows. I would ask
members of the audience to share, one at a time, what they think can be
seen when they browse the web, and then by show of hands, see how many
other audience members agree with each assessment. That could lead right
into the actual demonstrations of logs and fingerprinting and ultimately
Tor Browser.