[community] Tor talk/workshop at CJFE Toronto

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir at torproject.org
Thu Oct 26 23:35:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sunday (29 Oct) I am giving a Tor talk at the Canadian Journalists for Free
Expression (CJFE) workshop on digital self defence in Toronto, Canada.

    http://www.cjfe.org/workshop
    https://blog.torproject.org/events/sukhbir-cjfes-digital-self-defence-2017

I will be talking about secure web browsing, Tor, and Tor Browser to an
audience of journalists and human rights activists. The duration will be three
hours and here is the description of the talk:

    The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a
    distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it
    prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what
    sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your
    physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.

    Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Microsoft Windows, Apple MacOS, or
    GNU/Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB
    flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your
    anonymity, and is self-contained (portable).

    In this workshop, we will discuss secure web browsing and how to maintain
    your anonymity online using Tor and Tor Browser. This will be an
    interactive workshop and we will walk through these tools so please feel
    free to bring your devices (laptop and/or smart phone).

The slides for the talk: feedback is welcome, and let me know if you want me
to change anything. Be critical, please!

    https://people.torproject.org/~sukhbir/talks/toronto-cjfe-draft1.pdf

(There is one section remaining on the slides, and that will be on onion
services.)

Other than the talk and the general discussion on anonymity, I am going to be
giving a Tor Browser demo. I have planned to show what kind of information can
be gathered without using Tor, and then later show how Tor Browser prevents
that. For this, I have planned to show website logs (my own) and browser
fingerprinting, with and without Tor Browser.

Any other suggestions on how to make the talk more interactive? Or any other
topics I should talk about? Thanks!

--
Sukhbir