[ooni-talk] OONI hardware?

ilf ilf at zeromail.org
Sat Aug 17 21:54:56 UTC 2019

Friends,

I do quite some traveling, including to regions and countries that could
benefit from (another) OONI probe. However, I have not really found a
good way to actually put OONI to use. The main reason is: all my devices
heavily use VPNs and Tor.

Have you ever thought about some tiny OONI hardware probe? I for one
would love an small device, for example powered by PoE and getting
uplink via ethernet, or powered by USB and getting uplink via WLAN.
Something like a RIPE Atlas Probe: https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/probe-v2/

Three ideas come to mind:

1. Someone probably already hack up something like this on a Raspberry
Pi or similar. Can someone point me to this?

2. Time and money are limited, and having something like this as a
"product" needs both. But something like this could also vastly increase
the amount of probes. The Android App already drastically lowered the
bar to running a probe. But some dongle one would just have to plug in
somewhere would lower that even more. And if cheap enough, they could
just be left in interesting places.

3. RIPE Atlas Probes serve a different purpose. But has anyone ever
talked to RIPE NCC about the possibility of maybe running OONI on them?

I'd love to hear your thougths. I'm pretty sure others thought about
this before.

Best

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.