[metrics-team] TorPerf and OnionPerf

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Wed Aug 21 11:54:20 UTC 2019

On 20 Aug (13:20:18), Dennis Jackson wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Great to hear how the tracing work is progressing. I can suggest two
> different solutions.
>
> Firstly, I just gave a presentation on a new tool for benchmarking Tor
> using real browser processes to the Mozilla-Tor Monthly meeting. It's still
> in its early stages, but it is up and working. You could use it to drive a
> Tor Browser or Firefox instance through Tor and use the web in a fashion
> that approximates a normal user. I will send you a link to the video /
> slides off-list in case you don't have it already.

Ultimately, will we be able to get your tool to run regurlarly and output
Metrics graph? Or at least public results on metrics.tpo? :)

> Secondly, I think Onionperf uses TGen behind the scenes to generate
> traffic. TGen should allow you generate data which looks like HTTP requests
> for some level of 'looks like'. I'm not super familiar with the details,
> but I think its pretty mature and there's some information (including a
> HTTP TGen model) here: https://tmodel-ccs2018.github.io/ .

Oh you are right, TGen is used in Onionperf, I forgot! Yeah so this means we
could actually simulate more "human like" traffic.

@MetricsTeam: Is this something you think we can add to OnionPerf
infrastructure running on metrics and graph it? :D

Cheers!
David

--
22OYsO4jsRaRQWkUKLdtZ3Ol5nzIN+vauQE2JvQ8Q18=