[metrics-team] TorPerf and OnionPerf

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Aug 21 15:33:48 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-21 13:54, David Goulet wrote:
> On 20 Aug (13:20:18), Dennis Jackson wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Great to hear how the tracing work is progressing. I can suggest two
>> different solutions.
>>
>> Firstly, I just gave a presentation on a new tool for benchmarking Tor
>> using real browser processes to the Mozilla-Tor Monthly meeting. It's still
>> in its early stages, but it is up and working. You could use it to drive a
>> Tor Browser or Firefox instance through Tor and use the web in a fashion
>> that approximates a normal user. I will send you a link to the video /
>> slides off-list in case you don't have it already.
>
> Ultimately, will we be able to get your tool to run regurlarly and output
> Metrics graph? Or at least public results on metrics.tpo? :)

At some point, yes. But I don't think that you should wait for that. If
you're interested in existing measurements, I could imagine that Dennis
would share his experiment data. And if you want to run specific
measurements, you'll have to set them up on your own anyway.

>> Secondly, I think Onionperf uses TGen behind the scenes to generate
>> traffic. TGen should allow you generate data which looks like HTTP requests
>> for some level of 'looks like'. I'm not super familiar with the details,
>> but I think its pretty mature and there's some information (including a
>> HTTP TGen model) here: https://tmodel-ccs2018.github.io/ .
>
> Oh you are right, TGen is used in Onionperf, I forgot! Yeah so this means we
> could actually simulate more "human like" traffic.

Yes, we could change the traffic model. We earlier discussed
implementing something like a ping/echo server. We could likely simulate
other applications.

> @MetricsTeam: Is this something you think we can add to OnionPerf
> infrastructure running on metrics and graph it? :D

It's not on the roadmap for this year, but I agree that it would be nice
to have, so maybe early 2020?