[metrics-team] TorPerf and OnionPerf

Dennis Jackson djackson at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 20 20:20:18 UTC 2019

Hi David,

Great to hear how the tracing work is progressing. I can suggest two
different solutions.

Firstly, I just gave a presentation on a new tool for benchmarking Tor
using real browser processes to the Mozilla-Tor Monthly meeting. It's still
in its early stages, but it is up and working. You could use it to drive a
Tor Browser or Firefox instance through Tor and use the web in a fashion
that approximates a normal user. I will send you a link to the video /
slides off-list in case you don't have it already.

Secondly, I think Onionperf uses TGen behind the scenes to generate
traffic. TGen should allow you generate data which looks like HTTP requests
for some level of 'looks like'. I'm not super familiar with the details,
but I think its pretty mature and there's some information (including a
HTTP TGen model) here: https://tmodel-ccs2018.github.io/ .

Best,
Dennis