[metrics-team] requesting traffic data per day per country

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Aug 4 14:45:42 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-03 16:12, Alexei Abrahams wrote:
> Dear Tor Metrics Team,

Hi Alexei,

> I am a political economy researcher at Princeton University and I just
> started looking at your Tor metrics data. I am wondering if you are
> willing to post data on the amount of traffic handled by relays/bridges
> per country per day. At this
> link https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html I can download a
> csv file recording the number of active relays/bridges per country per
> day.

There are indeed such numbers, but as the specification page says:
"Statistics on relays by country code are only available until January
31, 2013."

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html#servers

There are plans to resume computing these numbers, but they're not top
priority at the moment.

> But I cannot tell how much traffic volume is being handled by those
> relays/bridges per country per day. The traffic data csv
> at https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html reports traffic per day
> **but not per country**. Without these data I cannot draw network bubble
> maps like you have drawn
> (https://metrics.torproject.org/bubbles.html#country).

Right, but that graph is based on the Onionoo service and only displays
the very latest network status without any history. I assume you'll want
history.

https://metrics.torproject.org/onionoo.html

> I believe these
> data would be helpful to me in my research. I am happy to provide
> further details if desired.

That would indeed be an interesting statistic. We don't have those
numbers, though. It's all in the raw Tor descriptors, but we'd have to
go through the archive and import a fair amount of data into a database
before exporting those numbers. That could easily take a few days to get
the code right and a few weeks to import all the data. It should be
easier, but unfortunately it isn't.

I'm afraid the best thing I can offer now is that you create a ticket,
and whenever we next work on related parts of Tor Metrics we'll consider
implementing this statistic.

> Many thanks in advance for your assistance. I am a big fan of the Tor
> project! :)

Glad to hear! Hope that's still the case after this response. ;)