[metrics-team] requesting traffic data per day per country

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Aug 4 20:00:10 UTC 2017

Hi Alexei,

I'm moving this thread back to the mailing list.

Quick response inline.

On 2017-08-04 18:04, Alexei Abrahams wrote:
> Thanks very much for the clarification, Karsten. I would be quite happy to whip up a Python script that downloads archival data from your website, parses it for the information I am interested in, and outputs a csv.

You should look at the Development page if you want to start working
with data from Tor Metrics:

https://metrics.torproject.org/development.html

But be warned that it's really a lot of data. This can easily become
time consuming.

> I'm only trying to confirm up front that the data I'm looking for are actually archived. I'm grateful also to Philipp Winters, a Tor researcher at Princeton, for responding to this thread and confirming that you guys have indeed archived *per-relay-per-day* the number of IP addresses *per country* that accessed that relay. It seems those data are stored in the relay-data/extra-info files such as
>
> https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/extra-infos/2017-08-04-14-05-01-extra-infos

That's indeed where all statistics gathered by relays are stored. You'll
find a few more details about that data on the CollecTor page:

https://metrics.torproject.org/collector.html#relay-descriptors

> (It seems the IP counts per country are listed after the string "entry-ips")

No, we're not using that for our user statistic. We're using directory
requests per country and converting that to user numbers. Here are some
questions and answers about that:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-web.git/tree/doc/users-q-and-a.txt

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but It looks to me like the entire archive of these files is stored by month as tarballs at this link: https://collector.torproject.org/archive/relay-descriptors/extra-infos/

Yes.

> Philipp's guess was that while you do record the number of IPs per country served by each relay per day, you do *not* archive the quantity of traffic processed at this level of specificity. So for example, I can see that 8 IP addresses from Australia and 20 IP addresses from Ukraine were served by relay x on such and such a day, but I can't tell how much traffic the Australians ran through this relay versus the Ukrainians. Is that correct that Tor does not collect such data?

Connecting users and amount of traffic are not directly related in our data.

I also think I misinterpreted your earlier question and thought you'd be
interested in traffic by relays located in a given country. Like, how
much traffic was provided by relays in the U.S. on a given day?

But traffic of users per country is different and not something you
could extract from our data.

I'm a bit in a rush right now. Maybe read through the links I gave you
and generally over what else you can find on Tor Metrics. If you have
further questions, please ask them on the mailing list, and somebody
will answer you, possibly early next week.

> Many thanks,
> Alexei

You're welcome!