[anti-censorship-team] Question about snowflake security

Justin Tracey j2tracey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:21:50 UTC 2022

Hi Luna,

Tor is a network designed for private internet connections -- it is very
very difficult to figure out who is connecting to what when the
connection is using Tor, because the traffic is bounced through at least
three hops. However, by default, it is easy for an internet provider to
see which of its customers are connecting to Tor itself, and block them.
So, Tor added "bridges", which are secret first hops that get handed out
via various channels to users. Snowflake is part of that system of
bridges. When you set up a Snowflake proxy, the people connecting
through you don't connect to whatever site they're accessing directly,
they just connect to Tor, which then connects them to whatever site
they're accessing. That is, because Snowflake is the first hop in the
connection, you can see people connecting through your proxy, but
neither you nor your internet provider can see where the connection is
ultimately going. (The "exit node" in that quote is the last of the
hops, so the one who can see where the traffic is going, and the IP
traffic looks like it's coming from for the website operator. Snowflake
can't run as an exit node, so it's just saying you don't need to worry
about things like websites blocking you for connecting too many times,
etc..)

Hopefully that helps. If you have more questions, you can try Tor's
support page:

https://support.torproject.org/

or the Tor forum:

https://forum.torproject.net/