[anti-censorship-team] Snowflake on OpenWrt

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat Sep 24 14:18:35 UTC 2022

Hi!

I thought it might be good to call your attention to the option of
running a Snowflake proxy on small embedded devices, such as home
routers. The resulting Go executable takes only about 3.5 MB of flash
memory and running it consumes roughly 32 MB of RAM -- resources
usually disposable even on consumer-grade home routers.

https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/19436

I've put each resulting executable into a package of its own, for
now providing on init script only for the snowflake-proxy, it runs
snowflake as an unpriviledged user/group snowflake:snowflake.
In order to make the executables more distinguishable on the target
systems I have renamed most of them adding a 'snowflake-' prefix.

I'd be glad to hear more opinions and receive review from project
developers.

Cheers

Daniel