[anti-censorship-team] Firefox Add-ons policy changes 2021-12-01

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Tue Nov 9 21:43:44 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-07 15:31, David Fifield wrote:
> Mozilla will change the policy for add-ons on December 1:
> https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2021/11/03/add-on-policy-changes-2021/
> https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/publish/add-on-policies-dec-2021/
>
> By my reading, the parts that may apply to us have to do with a privacy
> policy and possible consent form. From the blog:
>
>> If your add-on collects technical data, user interaction data, or
>> personal data, you must show a consent experience at the first run of
>> the add-on.

I'm additionally a little worried about this clause:

 > Encryption – standard, in-browser HTTPS – is now always required when
communicating with remote services. In the past, this was only required
when transporting sensitive information.

Technically, STUN servers are report services and don't use encryption.
However, I'm hoping that STUN is common enough for WebRTC to not cause
us any issues.

>> Most add-ons require a privacy policy. For add-ons listed on
>> addons.mozilla.org, the policy must be included in the listing in its
>> full text.
> I don't think the Snowflake add-on currently has a privacy policy on
> addons.mozilla.org.

I opened an issue to address the creation of a privacy policy:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/34

I wonder if it's worth reaching out to someone with privacy law
expertise to help us out with this? Maybe I'm over thinking it.