[anti-censorship-team] Couple of questions about Snowflake

protonmailareliars protonmailareliars at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 23 10:27:31 UTC 2021

Hello all,
First of all I really appreciate all the work that the anti-censorship team has been putting on building better censorship circumvention tools, and I hope snowflake becomes even more successful than obfs4.

I have a few questions about current developments,

1. What's the status on Snowflake Mobile development? Looks like the last commit was more than 1 year old: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile Is there any roadmap for getting it out?
2. Right now I assume the broker tends to hand out standalone-snowflake IPs first rather than web-ext-snowflake IPs (that's how it was working if I remember correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong). Is this still the case? I'm asking since I noticed a very impressive improvement when it comes to speed with snowflake and I would like to know if it was just due to me ending up with a standalone-snowflake or rather if issues with performance and speed got ironed out for web-ext-snowflakes.
3. The browser addon currently shows "Your snowflake has helped X users circumvent censorship in the last 24 hours". But this might be bad UX, it should be in the last week or even month since even though there are about ~2k snowflake users, the ratio of snowflakes/users is still big enough that a lot of users might be under the impression that they never helped any user/or that the extension isn't working correctly.
4. It might be a good idea to display the data in https://snowflake-broker.torproject.net.global.prod.fastly.net/metrics directly in https://metrics.torproject.org.

Thanks in advance for any answers.