[ux] UX July 19 meeting summary: discussing changes to the tor browser toolbar

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Wed Jul 19 19:37:17 UTC 2017

Hi there! I am sorry I missed the meeting, I left some comments on the
pad :)

I would suggest that we work on building hypothesis, like if we are in
doubt about where to place the icons, lets create two version where each
has them placed in a different place and test them.

I think a process to go about it could be:

1) Define the problem - what is the problem we are fixing here. I
believe some of the problems identified in the meeting are:
 a) user confusion with what settings is global and what is for a tab
 b) all features are hidden under one icon
 c) ???

2) How we will fix it? Write the hypothesis, create wireframe for each
of them (so dev knows what we are suggesting), provide any assets
necessary for dev to build the experiences we want to test (designer
should provide icons etc that we are thinking of using in the ui)

3) Test the hypothesis. We should create a testing process similar to
what we did with orfox [1]

Have an alpha build for each hypothesis and create a script with
questions for users who are testing the UI.

And ask the community team help on getting folks (trainers) to conduct
this test for us with users.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aE1txcRdJ9u5Der2-k9i-eq8mzvyPyAdmrPGlVKyPxo/edit

If we do the above, a lot of open questions will be answered and we will
learn a lot of how to go about this work.

cheers,
isabela