[ux] Brand naming resources, inspired by Orfox, Pearl, Mini-tor discussion

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Fri May 13 16:40:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Ame Elliott:
> resources for naming

Yay!

> onions (they make you cry, give bad breath, etc).

These are artificial constructs caused by fear; be weary of these
perspectives ):

> Descriptive

This is the most valuable given the gap that needs crossed to use Tor:
people don't know what it is.

The current question I get about Tor, or internet browsers that route
through the network, is: What is Tor?

The given answer is often a summary of the use case [0], which doesn't
explain what Tor is. This requires further explanation, presuming there
was further inquiry, to get to the technology so that people can better
understand what is happening.

By calling it something descriptive, e.g., 'Onion Browser', the answer
to the "What is Tor? question instead becomes a summary of the
technology, onion routing, and provides the elements needed to create a
mental model to understand what Tor is; people know their use cases
already, even if they don't know they are use cases.

[0]: "Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend
against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens
personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and
relationships, and state security."

> Tor is an acronym

The authority on the subject says the originating acronym was 'The Onion
Routing' but I alter history and tell people it stands (stood) for 'Tor
Onion Routing', to fit into the recursive acronym thing common in some
freedom-respecting software.

> “brand star”

Yay for nerdy charts!

> describes every product ever

That's what designers do (:

> Mobile Tor can too.

I use a "desktop" OS on a "mobile" device and I run Tor: am I running
desktop or mobile Tor?

I use a live distribution and I run Tor: am I running desktop or mobile
Tor?

These nuances of the form in which the use cases exist cause
fragmentation in the mental model of using Tor at home, work, and on the
go (which may all be the same thing).

This fragmentation causes uncertainty.

Uncertainty degrades trust and creates fear.

Fear leads to the darkside.

TOR: The Old Republic.

> want more, there is more

More, please.