[ux] Target user groups

Sara Sinclair Brody scout at simplysecure.org
Mon Apr 4 21:18:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Noel Torres <envite at rolamasao.org> wrote:

> Sara Sinclair Brody <scout at simplysecure.org> escribió:
>
> Is the Style Guide about the logo only, or about the whole Tor visual
> identity?

As we've currently scoped it (you can check it out the current draft
yourself [1]), it focuses on

1) Typography – what typeface(s) should be used when
2) Color – what are the canonical shade(s) of purple and green
3) Logo – how it should be used, and perhaps cleaning up the existing logo
a bit. (I need to edit the brief to add: especially as it pertains to the
logo being scaled to small sizes and viewed in greyscale).

> Are you talking more about end audiences, though? (I.e., the folks who use
>> Tor projects and the Tor website?) I think that it is possible to create
>> the first phase of a style guide that fits Tor's "brand", such as it
>> exists, without going into a detailed analysis of the end user base. The
>> goal of the style guide is not to create extensive designs e.g. for the
>> webpage, but to provide basic color and typographic guidelines that will
>> then inform future designs.
>>

> Maybe I'm going off-road, but IMHO we should also think on the final
> audiences that will use the web before deciding how should it look

First off: it occurs to me that perhaps the existing work on UX personas
for the Tor website [2] would be helpful? Assuming you had something more
extensive or different in mind...

I agree that an audience analysis is an important part of a website
redesign (and that the personas mentioned above go a long way in this
direction). But this initial version of the style guide is less about being
an instrument of change for the website, and more about being a standard of
consistency around what's *already* being done. By creating a guide that
defines the exact "Tor-style" colors and typefaces based on what's already
being used, we hope that we can entice more volunteer UX designers to
participate down the road in a website redesign, and incrementally refining
and improving the "Tor brand". We want to move forward with getting the
style guide done relatively quickly, so the team can get on with the work
on the website – and I worry that waiting to complete audience analysis
before finishing the creative brief will slow down progress on that front.

That said, since an audience analysis will be useful down the road anyway
(and I think it's something Isabela has been working on to some extent),
perhaps we could try and work on it in parallel? Hopefully it will be done
before the actual work on the style guide starts, and can feed into its
creation – but we don't have to put the brakes on the creative brief and
our process to get funding and choosing a designer to work on it.

What do you think? If you agree that working on an audience analysis in
parallel with the creative brief sounds good, and have a vision for what
you'd like this analysis to look like, where would you like to start? A
brainstorm here on the list? A section in the afore-mentioned etherpad [3]?
I unfortunately suspect that this analysis is going to be largely composted
of guesstimates and anecdata, unless there is data or research on the
composition of Tor's desired and actual audience that I'm not yet familiar
with?

:)
Scout

[1]