[ux] Notes from March 24th meeting

Sara Sinclair Brody scout at simplysecure.org
Fri Apr 1 16:59:48 UTC 2016

Hey, Philip!

You make some excellent points!

I am on travel at a conference, and unfortunately can't reply in as much
detail as I'd like. But I want to agree with you that this work we have
scoped so far is a small piece of the work that ultimately needs to be
done. I think our goal is to create a very simple, very basic, first
version of a style guide – something that will be distributed by PDF, for
example (and not an interactive website). In terms of brand architecture, I
think we're looking at a guide for the Tor Project. Once we have created
that and demonstrated that it can be useful, we can then explore how to
create guidelines for the various projects within that overarching Tor
community.

And: yes, absolutely, a redesign of the websites is part of the work that
ultimately needs to be done (and something that members of the project are
actively preparing for)! Along with changes to the GUIs for some of the the
tools, etc. But since the community is so new to thinking systematically
about design, we're trying to take very small steps. The style guide effort
is not the only thing going on in the UX space, just one early effort.

I'll try to reply in more detail soon. But I'm excited to have your
contributions here on this list!

:)
Scout

PS: Simply Secure clearly needs to be more clear in our messaging, because
I would absolutely consider Hamburg to be a compatible time zone with
Germany! We have several hours' overlap during the business day, which in
my experience is all that's necessary to collaborate.