[ux] Tor Configuration Dialogue User Study Update

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Wed Dec 9 06:56:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

> sajolida:
> I also wondered whether the option to configure a proxy should be
> even more out of the way.

The issue with this is it isolates the proxy flow from the rest of the
configuration context; Tails needs a more whole-systems approach given
the other variables and I would argue the same for Tor Launcher in
general, even if only to conserve resources.

> prior knowledge ... bridges only make sense in the context of Tor

People's mental models are a mix of both prior knowledge and what the
interface informs.

The issue with this is we have conflicting, or at least unclear,
terminology regarding the computers that move traffic around the
network; bridge is a relay, which is a router, which performs the
function of a proxy... this is a bit different from a network bridge it
seems and feels like a blocker to some degree.

Trust is important here and people may find it difficult to trust
something that they do not fully understand.  'Bridge' is the most
familiar concept here but it does not map accurately to the physical
function of a bridge where each end is connected.

Wordlife,
Spencer