[ux] Tor Configuration Dialogue User Study Update

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Sat Dec 5 15:05:10 UTC 2015

Linda Naeun Lee:
> Since hunting for proxies is the most common failure case, I agree that the
> proxy configuration screen could use some work to make the "skip this step"
> more noticeable.

While reading your summaries and looking at your prototype I also
wondered whether the option to configure a proxy should be even more out
of the way.

If I understand correctly, people who need to configure a proxy for Tor
would need to do this as well in their regular browser. They must have a
prior knowledge of this proxy configuration that is independent from
Tor. Whereas bridges only make sense in the context of Tor, and we can
help users by providing default bridges.

In some situations it also makes sense to configure a proxy but no
bridge, for example if your local network forces you to configure one.
In such a case, your connection to Tor is rather "direct" or at least
you are not trying to hide in any way that you are connecting to Tor and
the simplest censorship tool on your local network would block you.

All-in-all, I'm not sure bridges and proxies should be presented as
steps (1st: bridges, 2nd: proxy) and maybe proxies should be a side
option, like they are in regular browsers, and not part of neither the
"direct" nor the "censored" workflows.