[tor-teachers] hello and a tiny report

later notabot at espiv.net
Wed Mar 16 13:44:09 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I've joined the list at the recent Tor dev meeting, and talked publicly
about Tor for the first time a few days ago, at the Common Collaborative
Economies conference in Barcelona. It was the "why you should use Tor"
talk rather than "how to use Tor" one. The audience was a bunch of
commons-enthusiasts/anti-capitalists who oppose the dominant
socio-economic paradigm and are trying to come up with models of
solidarity and collaboration, and most of whom do not use Tor. So I made
two points: (1) their community does need protection from targeted
surveillance, and (2) using Tor and/or running a Tor relay is/can be an
act of solidarity itself, an act of civic action in opposition to
surveillance capitalism and of confirming their commitment to their values.

As I have some digital security trainings for activists and journalists
lined up, I'm hoping to see the central platform for teacher's materials
and experiences that we talked about at Tor dev and that Alison
mentioned in her email live.

Best,
Morana