[tor-teachers] update from Tor dev

Alison Macrina macrina at riseup.net
Wed Mar 16 12:46:35 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm finally home after ~3 weeks of travel that began with Tor dev, and
so I'm only finally getting around to typing up the notes from our
session on training. Specifically, we talked about a number of things
that we thought the Tor-teachers list in particular and the community of
Tor teachers generally could benefit from. Here's what we came up with:

0. Do a push for more folks to join Tor-teachers, reaching out on the
main Tor lists and on Twitter
1. Publish training material in more languages, organize it better,
include more dynamic and ideological material (not just how to use Tor,
but why to use it)
2. Outreach to groups and professions that we're not currently doing
much to support, eg medical personnel -- this is recognizing that there
is a huge interest and demand in learning privacy tools and it's not
being met
3. Create a list of where to teach, eg upcoming conferences for groups
represented in point 2, and post this to the wiki
4. Create a central platform website for all upcoming privacy trainings
(Tor and otherwise) and curriculum
5. Share warm fuzzy training success stories among ourselves and with
the greater community (especially devs and other people who don't do any
user facing stuff)

Let me know your thoughts about these points, and if there's any
interest in collectively tackling one or two of them.

Alison