[tor-teachers] Selling Tor outside the anglosphere

Masayuki Hatta mhatta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 01:32:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

I agree with Virgil.  Even in Japan, which is basically a democratic
country, people tend to tolerate paternalistic intervention by the
government, for their own "safety and security".  Thus, surveillance
and censorship has some but genuine support.  And many people still
tend to consider whistleblowing is a kind of "snitch", betrayal and
unethical.  In addition, the "failure" of Arab Spring and the rise of
ISIS cast some doubt on the value of democracy.  So, selling Tor
*only* in this context might have very limited appeal outside
Anglosphere.  Especially the U.S. is very idiosyncratic since it is
possibly the only country which has a long history of successful
whistleblowing (Watergate, Pentagon Papers, Snowden...) and very
strong protection for freedom of speech by the 1st amendment.  Also,
in some countries Tor is somewhat notorious for its use by criminals.
Thus, the importance of Tor should not be considered as given or
obvious.

I usually explain whistleblowing (w/ Tor) is good not only for the
public but also even for the accused institutions -- the damage can be
contained if it could be detected early.  Transparency is actually a
kind of insurance.  Lately we had some big corporate/academic scandals
such as Olympus, Toshiba and STAP cells, and now we see the collapse
of VW in Germany.  So the importance of strong anonymity for easing
whistleblowing is now much more convincing.

Best regards,
MH