[tor-teachers] Selling Tor outside the anglosphere

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Fri Oct 16 18:12:05 UTC 2015

A few days ago I did an interview for a documentary on
AaronSwartz/SecureDrop.

I asked how the documentary was going and the gist was that they were
pitching SecureDrop as necessary software for the upkeep of democracy.

I replied that although Tor/SecureDrop is good at the democracy angle, that
SecureDrop's anti-corruption aspect has much wider/stronger appeal than
democracy.

For example, Chinese leadership is about as anti-democracy as it gets, but
they are totally onboard with the anti-corruption/whistleblowing thing.
Example:

Example:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2015/06/china-great-purge-150615051144914.html

In general when I talk with leadership outside the anglosphere, they are
much more interested in increasing GDP than rights. And they are well aware
that corruption damages their effectiveness at home as well as perception
abroad. And in these areas I've had much more success in selling Tor as an
anti-corruption tool.

-V