[tor-talk] Help test the v3 onion service patch if you like

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Mon Jan 11 22:36:46 UTC 2021

Hi people-who-enjoy-building-their-Tor-from-source,

We have an experimental fix for making v3 onion services work, both
client-side and service-side, even while the network is in a degraded
state.

(More background:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40237
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/network-health/2021-January/000659.html
)

You'll need to apply the patch to both the service side and the client
side. (But it might work just to apply it on the client side -- if the
service side still has its introduction points open and hasn't tried to
publish a new hsdesc that lists different introduction points.)

And you're in luck, the network is running in degraded mode right now,
so it is the perfect time to try the patch. :) :/

You can find it as a git branch at
https://gitlab.torproject.org/dgoulet/tor/-/tree/ticket40237_046_01

or as a Tor diff which you can apply to your git checkout:
https://www.freehaven.net/~arma/40237-patch-046.txt

or as a Tor tarball I just made, at
https://www.freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.4.6.0-alpha-dev.tar.gz
$ sha256sum tor-0.4.6.0-alpha-dev.tar.gz
0e66ef42e048551acdabdc27ac2510bc4230be56fb4574f31a6827eb650e1c77 tor-0.4.6.0-alpha-dev.tar.gz

If you don't like building from source, that's fine. But if you do,
please test, and help find problems! Our current plan is to get this
patch into Tor 0.4.5.3-rc, which will come out tomorrow-ish, and that
will work its way into an upcoming Tor Browser alpha at some point.

--Roger