[tor-talk] Onion v3 went offline in the entire network?

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Tue Jan 12 16:17:03 UTC 2021

On 11.01.2021 16:55, bo0od wrote:

> Someone might come with explanations but on the same time this bug or
> attack or whatever can tell alot on the issue whether tor is reliable
> alternative (secure) mirror to the clearnet, Well saying onion v3 went
> off and on is like saying the whole clearnet on earth went off and on
> if we really put them into parallels.

Tor is an overlay network of Internet. When the internet is down,
everything is down.
But that's unlikely. The Internet (ARPANET) was developed during the
Cold War to withstand nuclear war.

Solution: Much more Freifunk nodes ;-)

The Tor network consists of only a few thousand servers. Total relay
bandwith ~600 Gbits/s.
It's easy for large botnets and government 3 letter agencies to attack
it when they want to.
(Feb. 2020: DDoS attack against AWS lasted for three days and peaked at
an astounding 2.3 terabytes per second!)
Big players like Google, AWS, Github or OVH even run into problems.

Solution: The Monero way. Offer your service via v3 onion and I2P. And
then just wait until the DNMs have ruined each other.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/kualce/all_v3_onion_addresses_down_after_attack_on_the/

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!