[tor-talk] Mailpile SMTorP [ref: nexgen P2P email]

Mike Ingle mike at confidantmail.org
Fri May 29 22:48:21 UTC 2015

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I was talking about broadcast
everything systems in general.
Bitmessage is a fine implementation of the broadcast everything
paradigm. I'm looking for an
intermediate between broadcast everything and SMTP-over-Tor.

My proposal is essentially: servers form a DHT. Users store their keys
in the DHT by key id.
The key record also has some additional metadata including where the
user wants to receive
messages. For short messages, the message is stored in the DHT by its
hash. Each user also
has a few hash values they check to get message announcements. Senders
post an announcement
to one of those values at random. Message announcements point to message
data.

People who want to be anonymous can connect to any server over Tor, and
post or request
hash values to/from the DHT. An attacker would have to have Tor
compromised and also have
that particular server compromised to break someone's anonymity. It's
not as anonymous as
broadcast everything, but it's better than SMTP over Tor or webmail over
Tor.

Using the DHT it is also possible to look up a user knowing only his
email address, and then
verify the key id. And people who want to exchange big files can get an
account on a server,
in which case the data is stored in 8MB blocks with no maximum size.
People who need to
distribute big files pay for the server capacity, and small anonymous
messages free-ride, with
a proof of work to prevent spamming.

Mike