[tor-talk] Mailpile SMTorP [ref: nexgen P2P email]

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri May 29 21:57:04 UTC 2015

On 5/28/2015 7:34 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
 >> On 05/26/2015 09:13 PM, Mike Ingle wrote:
 >>> I tried out Bitmessage and it did not seem to deliver without the
 >>> sender and recipient online. It's supposed to, it just didn't.
 >>> Waiting for key exchange.
 >>
 >> Any response from the devs/forum when you reported the bug?

 >I would have had to do a lot more troubleshooting before I went and
 >complained about a bug. I was just testing it out between a couple of
 >VMs to understand how it works and feels, because I am working with
 >secure mail protocols and want to understand the existing ones. It
 >worked fine with both of them up simultaneously.

It's hard to say anything more without details.  Except that offline
delivery
within the two-day buffer is a core feature described in the white-paper
and included in the implementation since the first release.

 >This is pretty similar to receiving a Usenet feed in the old days, and
 >downloading all the messages so as to receive a few encrypted ones. That
 >makes for the best recipient privacy, at the cost of bandwidth. From
 >what I can tell, Bitmessage basically automates that process.

No, not "Bitmessage", but "the specific use-case for a feature that I
happen to understand and mentioned on this list."

 > If it
 >moved beyond the Darknet Markets crowd, success would kill it or at
 >least require compromising the broadcast-everything rule.

I'll just ask you straight up-- are you talking about broadcast-everything
systems in general, or are you giving an assessment of Bitmessage's
design and
implementation based on (at least) a thorough reading of the 5 page
whitepaper?

(Confidential to cryptography list lurkers: IMO we have plenty of Ben
Lauries
at this point, and could use a lot more Hal Finneys. :)

-Jonathan