[tor-talk] tor-talk Digest, Vol 40, Issue 47

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue May 27 14:45:37 UTC 2014

On 5/27/2014 2:10 AM, Aymeric Vitte wrote:
> Le 26/05/2014 22:24, Joe Btfsplk a écrit :
>> I haven't done testing to see what identifying data might be revealed
>> (if any) by this, but for Youtube (& some others), if you copy the vid
>> URL, even though Flash isn't active, then paste into VLC, SMPlayer,
>> they usually play.
>> For Flash content, success of Flash vids on non-Youtube sites playing
>> in VLC / SMPlayer  varies.  It often works for non-Flash or HTML5
>> content from other sites.
> If you stream a yt video outside of the TBB or Peersm not using
> something that eventually proxies the traffic to Tor, you can be sure
> that there are tons of tracking stuff, that's why we did not implement
> it for now, it's a mess to catch the audio/video flow among all what is
> sent to yt.

Thanks.  1st trying to use HTML5 in TBB is easier, when it works.
Except, there's not nearly the same amount of playback control & options
as in decent, open source players.

VLC has option to set Socks & http / https ports plus many other network
settings.  As many or more network settings as most any app.
Not sure if SMPlayer has such network settings - devs could answer that
on their forum.

I assume those settings would keep VLC inside Tor network, but haven't
confirmed it.  VLC devs would know.  If it doesn't, it's probably a bug
& VLC devs would likely fix.
You can turn off other contact between VLC & home.  After all that, it's
unlikely there's "there are tons of tracking stuff," but that still
needs confirming, if absolute anonymity is needed when playing vids.