[tor-talk] tor-talk Digest, Vol 40, Issue 47

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon May 26 20:24:35 UTC 2014

On 5/26/2014 2:15 PM, Charles Thomas wrote:
> For me, running the most recent version of TBB on Ubuntu 14.04, I can
> stream videos from Youtube fine. I just have to temporarily allow all
> the page then refresh, then repeat again. It streams, slowly, but it
> does stream.
> On 05/26/2014 05:00 AM, tor-talk-request at lists.torproject.org wrote:
>> Precision: until FF has implemented the Media Source Extension API you
>> need to use Chrome for streaming. Right now you can not stream
>> directly from a youtube url (because you don't access directly an
>> audio/video file) but if there is an interest we can do it. Regards
>> Aymeric Le 26/05/2014 09:23, Aymeric Vitte a ?crit :

I find more YT vids stream in TBB 3.6 than older bundles...
I haven't done testing to see what identifying data might be revealed
(if any) by this, but for Youtube (& some others), if you copy the vid
URL, even though Flash isn't active, then paste into VLC, SMPlayer, they
usually play.
For Flash content, success of Flash vids on non-Youtube sites playing in
VLC / SMPlayer  varies.  It often works for non-Flash or HTML5 content
from other sites.

You can also play many vids right in TBB by editing the URL - replacing
most everything between the base URL & the vid's ID string - with *"embed."*
Edit out every thing before the ID string that is not alpha numeric -
and - anything at the end of the ID string, after & including any
non-alpha numeric chars.

So, "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV62UcqbcQA&list" becomes
https://www.youtube.com/embed/NV62UcqbcQA.  It doesn't work for all
vids, but a lot.