[tor-talk] TBB 3.5 starts w/ size buttons hidden

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Jan 26 17:21:17 UTC 2014

Nils wrote:
 >"You can use the windows key + an arrow key to resize and move windows."

DOESN'T work on my machine in Vista x64 (for any app).  No effect. Maybe
some Windows option turned off?

On 1/26/2014 12:56 AM, Lars Luthman wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 21:37 -0600, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> Re:  TBB 3.5 doesn't seem to remember its window position between sessions.
> The size of your window can leak information that reduces your
> anonymity, at least if Javascript is enabled (maybe even if it's
> disabled?). I suspect that TBB has been intentionally modified to start
> with the same window size every time.
>
> It sounds odd that it starts with the title bar off-screen though.

Thanks.  Good point.  Starting in reduced size isn't the issue - hidden
title bar is.  Starting w/ the title bar & buttons hidden on a common
1920x1080 native (21.5 in.) monitor is odd.  Nothing unusual about the
monitor & no issue w/ other apps.  I'd think many would complain about
TBB 3.5 if it's widespread.  This began *ONLY* in TBB 3.5 - 1st launch &
has persisted (erratically). Checked this again in TBB 2.4.17 & no issue
w/ opening size or position.

Further "testing" - TBB 3.5 opening UI alignment is erratic. Sometimes
after maximizing, then closing - it reopens w/ title bar aligned - but
often NOT.
* Title bar being hidden on TBB start happens most often when I maximize
its UI, then minimize, then close.  That seems the MOST common scenario,
when title bar's completely hidden on restart.  But NOT ONLY time.

Not using any extensions, plugins - except default.  Tried it enough to
see, even w/ no other changes between restarts, proper title bar
alignment is erratic.
* If title bar IS aligned, TBB sometimes starts w/ bottom border hidden
well below the Windows task bar (I've only 1 task bar row & "small"
icons).  Not a huge issue, as I can then maximize UI - but still odd.
Tested a bunch of apps & Firefox - none have these issues.

Further, I've (always) had checked -  "keep *task bar* on top," but NOT
"locked" or "auto hide."  No changes on task bar properties in ages.

* With TBB 3.5 started in part-screen mode & with (if) its bottom border
hidden (that actually aligns w/ monitor's bottom IF... I hide task bar),
when I hide, then UNhide task bar, TBB instantly adjusts its bottom
border to just touch the task bar  - for that session.  But doesn't
always remember ANY positions / alignment on next restart.  When I think
I've figured out sequence, it surprises me again.

* Sometimes, if click maximize UI button, then reduce, it'll immediately
change UI position, so all but ~ the LOWER 1/4 of resizing buttons are
hidden off the monitor.  Sometimes NOT.  But doing that, buttons *may*
display OK.

* Still common for TBB 3.5 to start w/ title bar completely off
monitor.  If so, only way I've found to maximize TBB UI is IF... the
bottom border is showing above task bar, drag it UP a bit, then PART of
title bar instantly displays (showing small part of buttons). Then click
maximize button.
(Why would dragging TBB's bottom border make the title bar SUDDENLY jump
/ partially appear?  Dunno - never seen it before.)

Whatever my Windows / display "settings" are, haven't changed & work OK
w/ other apps & previous TBB versions.

That's why I asked -  so not to file a bug if I'm the only one. Other
than bug / Vista incompatibility, can't imagine why ONLY TBB 3.5 would
do this.