[tor-talk] Failed Startpage connection problem found_need solution [Was: still unable to reach StartPage or Ixquick]

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Oct 10 19:26:02 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 1:42 PM, krishna e bera wrote:

> When you find yourself replying a lot in your own troubleshooting
> thread, it may be time to start a ticket on https://trac.torproject.org
> and followup there.
OK, thanks.   I never see troubleshooting threads go on forever on the
list. :D
But wait - I found the problem & I'm sure lots of users here know the
best, safest way to handle TBB & various AV prgms monitoring port 443.
Not sure need to create a ticket for that.

Perhaps just turn off monitoring encrypted connections in the AV/ soft
FW.  Not sure about the safety aspect.
> On 13-10-10 02:10 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>
>> * Don't want to whitelist (not monitor) *ALL*  TBB activity in KIS -
>> takes away all protection.
> Au contraire, why allowing any "security" or other software access to
> Tor communications? You are effectively sending Kaspersky corporation
> your data and metadata with your IP address, which can be intercepted or
> grabbed off their servers by any agency with sufficient powers.
> ...Unless you are using KIS and TBB in a VM with a fake IP address etc.

Any AV that does updates, already has your IP address, I'd guess.
I doubt there'd be any way for them to correlate an IP used for updates
w/ Tor network addresses, or that it's any concern.

If there is, the whole Tor Project is remiss in not warning users about
the threat.

KIS & others log network activity, but you can turn it off completely,
or limit retention to a day.
If in a "hostile environment," could clear the log (if turned on) &
erase free space on that partition, if worried about the MIB showing up.