[tor-talk] More and more websites block Tor, which will eventually become useless!

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Nov 10 22:29:34 UTC 2013

On 11/10/2013 3:14 PM, Akater wrote:
> The German guy was released, right? A couple more precendents, and
> police will stop raids like this one due to inefficiency. Because,
> ultimately, they /are/ inefficient, and all Tor community needs to do is
> to make it as clear to general public as possible.
"German guy" was only one of several.  I your theory is true, but it
depends on the goal(s) of the LEAs.  If their only purpose is to catch
REAL criminals, they may stop going after exit operators, if most
attempts are unsuccessful / unfruitful.
But, in those cases, they're looking for ANY info.  They want DATA from
exit nodes, even if they don't think the operator is complicit.  Just as
they wanted data from ALL Lavabit customer accts.

If intent is simply to intimidate (as is sometimes the case in other
endeavors), then being inefficient matter at all.
When that's the purpose, educating them won't help, either.  That's not
ALWAYS their purpose, but LONG history  has shown that it can be.

Some gov'ts, LEAs just don't want Tor & the "bad element" they perceive
it brings, operating in their jurisdiction.
And, criminals do use Tor, at times.   That said, I don't know that LEAs
will stop turning over exit node "rocks," to see what's underneath.