[tor-talk] Is my ISP censoring my access to Tor?

Justin Aplin japlin at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:59:40 UTC 2012

On 5/18/2012 7:55 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> Socks listener listening on port 50364
>> Is this correct?  Shouldn't it be Socks listening on port 9050; control
>> listener on port 9051 - or does that matter?
>> It appears that the SOCKS port is now random for the Tor Browser Bundle.
> Starting when?  I'm using 2.2.35-11 & the only thing in my unedited
> torrc file is
> "SocksListenAddress 127.0.0.1"
> You must have checked in Vidalia settings >Advanced, "Configure
> ContolPort Automatically."  I assume that option is not checked by
> default?  It isn't in my settings & the Tor logs only show ports 9050
> / 9051 being used.  Not that would necessarily make a difference.

I believe this is true for all but the Windows packages, in order to
avoid interference with other Tor instances (i.e. other TBB instances or
an exit/relay). The only reason this isn't default behavior in Windows
packages is because the code used to randomize port selection seems to
trigger an inordinate number of antivirus warnings.

~Justin Aplin