[tor-talk] Setting up Tor on Ubuntu

tor324890 at rainslide.net tor324890 at rainslide.net
Wed Mar 21 11:20:10 UTC 2012

I had problems with Vidalia seemingly randomly overwriting my tor rc file with its default settings, so I stopped using it. Now, I just run the tor proxy itself.

I'd do what you originally intended: keep it simple, you want to learn tor so just run tor alone for now. Get back to the position you were at when you just had tor, no Vidalia, and you've confirmed it's running with nmap. By default it'll run on port 9050 - nmap should confirm that, so you should set your proxy setting in your browser to localhost:9050. Set your browser to manual proxy for now, just to eliminate 'system proxy' from the equation.

When tor started up, its log file should have said something about confirming that it's running. 'telnet localhost 9050' should leave you with a blank line waiting for input (IIRC). That confirms that something is listening on port 9050.

Visit a web page in your browser. There's a test page that you can visit which detects and shows you whether your browser is using tor. I can't remember what page it is, but a simple search for it should tell you (search for it before you do all this, otherwise you might not be able to do a web search for it!).

Where exactly are you seeing the error? In the browser, tor log file, system log?

--

.