[tor-talk] Setting up Tor on Ubuntu

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Wed Mar 21 03:28:19 UTC 2012

Hi

Let me apologise at the outset for ignoring the TBB.  I plan on doing
so later, but as this is my first experiment with Tor, I would like to
try and educate myself and that means doing things the hard way.
Sadly, the hard way isn't working.

I'm running Ubuntu Maverick with a 2.6.35-32 kernel (not that I think
that matters).

What I've done so far is..

sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
   Added the repository --> deb
http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org maverick main
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 886DDD89
gpg --export A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deb.torproject.org-keyring tor

So far so good.  Tor is running (nmap localhost confirms this).  But
when I try to change the system proxy (to use Chrome), I get no
internet connection - at least I get this error:
Error 111 (net::ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

So, then I installed vidalia and privoxy.  Once I stopped tor (sudo
/etc/init.d/tor stop) and started vidalia, I get the control panel up.

If I start tor from the control panel, I get..

Vidalia detectd that the Tor software exited unexpectedly.

The log file says:

Mar 20 22:58:45.620 [Warning] /var/run/tor is not owned by this user
(spb, 1000) but by debian-tor (116). Perhaps you are running Tor as
the wrong user?

The only search result I can find on Google for this is over 5 years
old.  https://trac-vidalia.torproject.org/projects/vidalia/ticket/239

If I start tor (sudo /etc/init.d/tor start

and then click Start Tor on the control panel, I get

Authenticating to the Tor network
Connecting to the Tor network

And then after some seconds a green onion and
Connected to the Tor network!

However, as before if  I try to change the system proxy (to use
Chrome), I get no internet connection - at least I get this error:
Error 111 (net::ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

Can someone help me understand how I can use Vidalia to start Tor - is
this even desirable given that Tor can start by itself?

And explain how I can use the system proxy so that I can use Chrome?

Thanks.

Simon