[tor-talk] Scroogle is No More?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Feb 21 15:07:04 UTC 2012

On 2/21/2012 8:38 AM, tor at lists.grepular.com wrote:
> On 21/02/12 14:27, Mr Dash Four wrote:
>
>>> I've started using this instead: https://startpage.com/
>>>
>>> It provides Google search results, supports https, works without
>>> javascript enabled, seems to be hosted in the Netherlands and they take
>>> a good approach to privacy:
>>>
>>> https://startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html
>>>
>> "You may be using a privacy-oriented browser extension that conflicts
>> with Startpage. Please disable this extension and try your search again.
>> If this does not help, please contact us at (212) 447-1100 (USA) or
>> autoquery @ ixquick.com."
>>
>> Yeah, as if! startpage.com is off my list! Next...
> Strange. I don't get that error message when accessing startpage.com
> over Tor. I'm not using a standard bundle like TorBrowser though. Would
> be interesting to find out which particular aspect of your configuration
> is leading to that error message.

Neither have I gotten a msg about "you may be using a privacy-oriented
browser extension..."  That's a generic error msg & could mean
anything.  Why not contact Ixquick?  I did once (not about your type
error) - the support person that replied by email was quite
knowledgeable & helpful.  Try that w/ Google.  I have no affiliation /
connection to Ixquick / Start Page at all.

I've used Ixquick & Start Page w/ Firefox & TBB.  There must be some
particular combo of extensions you're using.  It's unfortunate, but some
extensions interfere w/ some sites.
Now, if you're using several "untested / unapproved" extensions in TBB,
they may not work together.  Many extensions state upfront that they
conflict w/ other.