[tor-talk] TB for Win

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Sat Apr 9 00:29:17 UTC 2011

Thus spake Greg Kalitnikoff (kalitnikoff at privatdemail.net):

> Hi! When will TorBrowser with Firefox 4 for Windows be released? Tired
> of waiting :)

So are we. FF4 offers a ton of awesomeness that we want to leverage.
For example, HTML5 allows youtube to work over Tor! (If you opt-in and
set your useragent right):

But it is a lot of work. Every new Firefox release requires a ton of
addon API updates and auditing, and FF4 was a beast of a release in
this respect. We've done the API updates (Torbutton 1.3.2-alpha) but
we still need to do more auditing.

We're also planning on changing our release structure for Firefox 4.
We will very likely be maintaining our own (hopefully small) set of
patches against Firefox 4 and shipping Tor Browser Bundle as our only
supported platform, and discouraging the advanced tor packages and
Torbutton+OS Firefox setups (and removing or unrecommending Torbutton
on addons.mozilla.org). This also means that we need to sink a bunch
of effort into making sure Tor Browser Bundle is a working solution
for people on every platform.

So we're not sure exactly when all of this will be ready, but we're
working as hard as we can to make it ASAP.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist