[tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Apr 8 18:10:42 UTC 2011

On 4/7/2011 1:54 PM, grarpamp wrote:

> The shortest answer is that strong pseudonyms are useful, even (or
> especially) in a well connected social environment. Many people want
> to have those links. Many want use some of the services google offers:
> https://www.google.com/intl/en/options/
> Many want to participate in the scene... just not as themselves.

Point taken.  If I understand, the reason many want to use Tor w/ Gmail
isn't for email - other services / options?  Because if they are using
it for email, it's not private on Gmail (or a lot of others) - other
than your IP address, if can successfully login w/ Tor.

I get "trying to beat the system" - as I often do, but I try to take the
path of least resistance.  Aren't most / all of the options, or even
better ones (except ones dealing w/ gmail) available directly, instead
of going thru Gmail?  Is it just a matter of convenience of having many
options / links in ONE place?  Maybe some of those sites won't allow Tor
either?  I'm trying to see what I'm missing that can't be found anywhere
except through google.

If I wanted to blog  *anonymously *, I wouldn't do it on Google.

Maybe there are SOME just not available anywhere except Google /
Gmail???  If I wanted to use google search, I'd use Scroogle SSL.
If wanted to look at youtube, I'd go to youtube.

If I suddenly lost most brain function & wanted to "organize my medical
records online," google is the last place on God's green Earth I'd
choose - via Tor or not.