What can see a server of a Bittorent when I contact with it through Tor?

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:11:53 UTC 2010

On 25 February 2010 12:50, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > BitBlinder attempts to create a closed Tor-based network for bittorrent
> > traffic, including a system attempting to assure equal sharing.
>
> It may end up being ok. But never I understand why create a separate
> Tor universe. Sure, if want to only do torrent. But that is may not usual
> case and steals resources that could be better put to use making the one
> single tor universe bigger. You have to run a relay with their system
> so everybody may as just well run one within the single Tor universe.
> I question registraton and possible future commercial motivations.
> Given client's pki, registration should not be needed, just run the client
> and use pubkey as self register/track/accounting somewhere.
> And there will be major scale issues to solve, why not cooperate and
> do that under Tor namebadge as well.

I think that the choice to use a separate tor network is based on two
things:
-a desire to avoid overloading the existing tor infrastructure with
BitTorrent traffic , and
-a pragmatic need to implement the bandwidth `coins' system to ensure equal
sharing.

And on those notes, I think that there is value in using an independent
network. Besides, it wouldn't be too difficult (but still not totally
trivial) to after-the-fact switch the BB network onto the primary Tor
network; it would be much more troublesome to take BB off the Tor network if
it seemed to be problematic.