What can see a server of a Bittorent when I contact with it through Tor?

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:01:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Stephen Carpenter <thecarp at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well how exactly would you accomplish that? You could put the tracker
> on a location hidden service, that eliminates one exit node, however,
> to connect with other hosts in the swarm, you need to be able to
> connect to them... which means now, you have to have every bittorrent
> client in the swarm ALSO running a location hidden service, lest you
> need exit nodes to contact them.

Correct.  All users and trackers would have to have a .onion address.

> I highly doubt any bittorrent client yet supports operating in this
> manner.

I have both a torrent tracker and client setup to do this.  I wrote a UPNP
client to help setup end-user's as routers for the network too. I even
bought a domain name just for this. It's been tested and works quite well.

So why haven't I released this?  Well, I was asked nicely by one of the Tor
author's NOT to do this due to fears that the Tor network would not be able
to handle the amount of traffic torrent users would bring.  Out of respect,
I did what was asked of me and did not release these to the public.

This is a hot topic, with good arguments on both sides.  However, I feel
that until someone launches such a service, we will not know which way it
would go.  Perhaps we need to branch off a new Tor network that is used more
exclusively for hidden services, in hopes of encouraging people to run a
router (non-exits only) without the risk of getting harassed because of
"abuse" complaints.