Could i use tor to login Paypal?

Shava Nerad shava at freehaven.net
Wed Aug 30 17:14:25 UTC 2006

At 01:02 PM 8/30/2006, Shava Nerad wrote:
>It seems unlikely it's because of your Tor use, but we'll look for
>other anecdotes that might lead us to believe this to be the case.

Or, I could take 5 minutes and be proactive...:)  I just sent to
paypal's contact us - protections/privacy/security/account privacy address:

>I'm the executive director of the Tor Project
>(http://tor.eff.org).  We're getting reports that some people who
>use Tor, a proxy network, are getting their accounts frozen at
>Paypal.  People are concerned about privacy today, and using a proxy
>network for privacy should be something that you would support.
>
>Our network can cause the IP from which the user attaches at login
>to be separate from the IP from which the user logs out (this is to
>say, they can dynamically change exit node from the server cloud
>during the same session).
>
>Does this cause paypal to flag the account?  If so, can we encourage
>you to rethink this behavior?
>
>I encourage you to check out http://tor.eff.org for more
>information, contact me, or search for tor.eff.org in google to find
>our mentions in reports by Human Rights Watch, mainstream media,
>Reporters without Borders, and many other groups that promote and
>value internet security and privacy.
>
>Thanks!
>Shava Nerad
>Executive Director
>http://tor.eff.org/

I could have been more precise, but to dash this off in a few minutes
and within their 1000 character limit...

Yrs,

Shava Nerad
Executive Director
http://tor.eff.org/