SSL fro hidden services

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Oct 20 23:18:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, loki tiwaz wrote:

> hi,

> i am considering running an onion-based CA which could be used... i simply
> need to make a script which allows a user to sign a certificate signing
> request and produce a signed server key. the server key only needs to have
> its onion address as content, nothing more is required, and a link to import
> the CA key into the browser so that it can be trusted automatically by the
> browser.

> yes, this is the case, and it is a valid reason to use ssl. in my opinion,
> since tor already uses multi-layered encryption anyway, one more layer at the
> core is not going to create that much of an extra load on the server, and it
> means that there is no way the traffic can be sniffed at any point - for
> example a trojan could sniff localhost traffic. also, using onion routing
> defeats the one way in which SSL can be attacked, by man-in-the-middle
> intermediaries on the network pathway, which of course cannot be known within
> the tor network. Also, it should be noted that tor exit nodes could
> potentially be modified to become men-in-the-middle, although this would not
> be possible without compromising the key of the server being contacted -
> another aspect of the advantage of using tor.
>
> onion addresses are impossible to remember though - which brings me to
> another idea - of a name resolution system within the tor network so simpler
> names can be used. this would require a second directory system, i don't know
> if it is practical or not, but i thought i should put the idea out there
> because i2p has name resolution systems, and benig able to type in
> oniondomainname.onion rather than u15syoa125au.onion would be nice. it would
> increase the rate of take-up of hidden services, both use and hosting.

The other thing that could be interesting of course is an onion-only
search engine, which could either compliment or reduce the need for vanity
names.

Still, I don't see why the directory servers can't maintain this info.  It
would have to (for the most part) be first-come first-served, and I
suppose some sort of uptime monitoring should also play a part (i.e. if
you don't use it for say 6 months, you lose it).

Shame there's not a whole lot of clients that make use of SRV records, as
an onion specifier in there could prove remarkably useful in some way.

--

"If you aren't going to try something, then we might as well just be
friends."

"We can't have that now, can we?"

-SK & Dan Mahoney,  December 9, 1998