SSL fro hidden services

loki tiwaz loki_tiwaz at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 03:43:09 UTC 2005

of course, a search engine! names are nonsense anyway, mnemonics... names
could be implemented in a browser extension, in fact they already are
implemented, just not in a simple way.

as someone else pointed out somewhere... hmm i can't remember exactly, some
article about icann, domain names constitute a 'resource' which tends to
mean that people compete for it and thus end up being dished out to those
who can pay the most amount of money for it. oh yes, it was an article about
'internet governance'... and it seems to me that tor could fill the void for
an alternative to the dns infrastructure, and provide privacy to users at
the same time as fulfilling the need for easy access to the information
resources that people wish to make available.

>The other thing that could be interesting of course is an onion-only search
>engine, which could either compliment or reduce the need for vanity names.
>
>Still, I don't see why the directory servers can't maintain this info.  It
>would have to (for the most part) be first-come first-served, and I suppose
>some sort of uptime monitoring should also play a part (i.e. if you don't
>use it for say 6 months, you lose it).

there is some way to remotely enumerate hidden service addresses isn't
there? ???

i need to find out if there is.

loki