Hardware requirements for a tor server

Giorgos Pallas gpall at ccf.auth.gr
Sat Jan 15 18:37:08 UTC 2005

Schneelocke wrote:

>>You must of course know in advance that the volume of traffic is
>>huge! My server's in + out traffic is ~30 GB /day ! Of course if your
>>server resides at a university's campus you won't have any problem with
>>bandwidth usage...
>>

>That really depends. I think I recall that the network connecting
>german universities (the DFN) was switched from a "pay a flat fee for
>your access" to a traffic-based price model some years ago - I'm not
>sure if that's still what things are like, but if yes, then
>universities are probably going to be less tolerant of high-traffic
>applications like that, especially if they don't benefit from them
>themselves.

Well, you are right. I really can't know about the policies of all
universities, I just thought of the example of Greece where all
univerisities enjoy a 1-10 Gbps connection without paying to the
connecting network (GRNET). Anyway, the traffic can be adjusted though a
couple of parameters in the config files..,