[tor-reports] Core Tor report for sponsorU October

isabela at riseup.net isabela at riseup.net
Thu Nov 17 16:11:51 UTC 2016

Core Tor Team October 2016 Report

= Detailed high- and low-level overview of all modules in Tor. =

We created documentation for all the modules in Tor, their data flows,
their intended interactions, and their actual behaviors.

We only left out modules that are too much in flux -- we plan on doing
those once they are more stable to be documented, which probably will
happen after the period of this contract.

We used doxygen for this work, which generates the html documents out of
our comments on the code. So you will find this documentation in two places:

	1: In the source code, at the start of each C file.
	2: When you click on individual C files under
https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/tor-auto/doxygen/files.html (scroll
down to "detailed description").

There's also documentation for nearly all the functions, but that isn't
new :)

While writing this documentation we also reviewed and updated a little
bit our tor-guts documentation done as part of our "User’s manual for
compatibility and crypto layers".

The next step here is to reorganize our team wiki with all this
information, so it's easier for new volunteers to find it and get their
way around starting contributing with the team.

For a long term future plan, as part of a project we have to redesign
our website we plan on making this information available on a portal
dedicated to the development part of Tor.

= Implementation of improved guard node design (y1 carry on deliverable) =

 * Create main guard selection state data structure [1] (instead of
using global variables) | this follows the implementation plan of
Proposal 271 [2]

= Protocol support for improved identity key infrastructure. =

This month we finished creating the support to allow relays to start
accepting Ed25519 identities in their extend2 cells.[3,4] This work is
related to our proposal 220[5] implementation.

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20385
[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19858
[2] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-July/011234.html
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19301