[tor-reports] OONI team status update for October 2016

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue Nov 15 13:49:07 UTC 2016

Hi Tor people!

Here is OONI’s monthly report for October 2016, hope you enjoy!

# OONI Monthly Report: October 2016

The OONI team made steady progress in October 2016. Some highlights include:

* Development of a public API to access OONI's raw measurements.

* Release of ooniprobe 2.0.0 with auto-update support on all of OONI's Raspberry Pi based deployments.

* Publication of a report with results from election monitoring in Zambia (in collaboration with partners).

* Publication of a report on censorship events in Egypt.

* Planning the OONI hackathon and meeting in Berlin.

## OONI measurements API

We made progress on developing a public API to access the raw OONI measurements. This API is now
accessible in staging at http://staging.measurements.ooni.io/. Through this interface it will
be possible to programmatically fetch raw OONI measurement data and it will be used by the Tor
metrics team to integrate OONI data that is relevant to Tor into the Tor metrics site.

OONI's measurments API has been set-up in a way that is continously integrated and automatically deployed to staging
when commits are merged into master.

## OONI data processing pipeline

Some experiments were done with airflow to assess if it is the right tool for re-engineering our data analysis pipeline and a toy
project was implemented using it. This has layed out the foundation necessary to make a first iteration of the new data analysis
pipeline to be completed by the end of November 2016.

## ooniprobe 2.0.0

We tagged a stable release for ooniprobe 2.0.0 (https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/releases/tag/v2.0.0)
that features our new web UI. As part of this, we also rolled out a secure auto-updater to all our Raspberry Pi based probes. This
 will allow us to automatically trigger updates on probes.

The rolling out of ooniprobe 2.0.0 went well and all of our Raspberry Pi based probes have updated properly to the latest version.

## Publications

In collaboration with Strathmore University's Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law (CIPIT), we published a report based on our study of internet censorship during Zambia's 2016 general election period. This report can be found here:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/zambia-election-monitoring/

We also published another report based on our study of network interference in Egypt. Amongst other things we were able to confirm that connections to Tor were being tampered with and access to certain sites was being impeded. This report can be found here:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/egypt-network-interference/

## OONI hackathon and internal meeting

We did some planning and outreach for an OONI hackathon to be held in Berlin in November together with our internal gathering:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/berlin-hackathon-2016/

The goal of the event was that of engaging new people with OONI and having them hack on some relevant projects during that time. We will release a post based on these events in November.

## ooniprobe mobile

A lot of progress was done on the mobile app development front and many new iterations of the app were released on test flight
to have users test it.

Based on the feedback received during the OTF Summit from Simply Secure, we also started to implement some UX improvements
to the application.

## Measurement userbase

Our network coverage has been steadily increasing. During the month of October we received measurements from over 50 different countries covering more than 100 unique network vantage points.

During the month of October ooniprobe was run more than 6000 times.

- The OONI team