[tor-reports] Arthur's August

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 04:43:00 UTC 2014

Last month I worked on parts of our project to port Tor Browser to
Firefox ESR 31. First I worked on rebasing tor-browser.git's C++
patches to Firefox (https://trac.torproject.org/12620). Of 46 original
patches in TBB/ESR24, 10 were no longer needed (most had been
successfully incorporated in standard Firefox) and the remaining 36 I
rebased to TBB/ESR31. These patches are currently at
https://github.com/arthuredelstein/tor-browser/commits/12620

I then started work on writing regression tests to confirm that the
rebased patches are implemented correctly, and to defend against
regressions in the future. This approach proved fruitful as I
discovered two regressions in the 9 patches tested so far. I aim to
continue this regression test project this month. The rebased patches
will also need to be reviewed by hand to make sure they are correct.

In addition, I developed patches for torbutton to make it compatible
with Firefox ESR31's new user interface API
(https://trac.torproject.org/10751).

I also did some polishing of patches I first wrote in July for
isolating tor circuits by domain, and displaying those circuits in the
Tor Browser user interface (https://trac.torproject.org/5752 and
children). And I proposed a patch for tor's Control Port to report
SOCKS username and password in its CIRC event, which will aid in the
implementation of the circuit display
(https://trac.torproject.org/8405). I hope we will be able to include
the tor circuit isolation and circuit display once we have a working
version of TBB/ESR31 ready.

Arthur Edelstein