[tor-reports] boklm's report for January 2014

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Feb 7 22:26:35 UTC 2014

Things I have done since last report:

- sent a proposal for a gitian replacement:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-January/006047.html

- made some improvement on this gitian replacement tool and new build
  process prototype:
   o renamed the tool with a better name (Reproducible Build Manager)
   o added support for pre/post build scripts and a few other improvements
     to the tool
   o started adding support for windows builds (done for binutils, libevent,
     openssl, zlib, tor, but not yet for the browser, and I did not check
     yet that the produced binaries work)

- discussed with Erinn about the new dist server setup, and started
  some scripts: https://github.com/boklm/upload-manager

- attended FOSDEM, and after that cfgmgmtcamp.eu, and saw some interesting
  talks there (including the one from Lunar about reproducible builds
  for Debian).

- started looking at docker.io and how we can use it. It is a tool based
  on LXC and DeviceMapper to manage containers, with easy to use snapshot
  features. It looks like something we can use in our build/test process
  to run the builds and tests inside clean containers each time.

Some things I'm planning to do in Febuary:

- come to the dev meeting in Iceland

- finish the new build process prototype to make it build a full bundle
  for windows and osx.

- start collecting tests such as this:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-qa/2014-January/000316.html
  and try to integrate them into a test suite we can run automatically

- look at the release process to participate in tbb rotating release
  duties