[tor-reports] What Nick did in July

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri Aug 1 15:09:34 UTC 2014

In July, I:
  * Attended the Tor developers' meeting.
  * Attended PETS.
  * Worked on some early investigative and fixup stages of the recent
security issues (see blog post and tor-announce mail from Roger).
  * Designed and implemented a langsec tool ("trunnel") to generate
safe parser code for our binary wire formats, to reduce our risk
factors about hand-written binary parser code.  The trunnel code
generator is at 99% test coverage; and the C generated by that test
case is also at 99% test coverage.  I've sketched out implementations
for the parsing logic for the wire formats of proposals 220, 224, and
229.[*]
  * Reviewed and merged numerous patches for Tor 0.2.6.
  * Did lots more bug triage for 0.2.6.
  * Tried to do more to investigate the last lingering issues blocking
0.2.5-rc.  More help needed. Can someone help figure out bug #12184 ?
  * Began working on a draft master schedule for Tor work over the next while.
  * Began working on a "how to write tests for tor" document.

For much of July, I've been having some severe stress-related issues
that have made me less productive than I'd prefer.  I hope to be
getting back on track over the next week or so.

[*] https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/nickm/trunnel.git

--
Nick