[tor-reports] Lunar’s report for July 2014

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Fri Aug 1 13:51:03 UTC 2014

Hi!

Here’s what kept Lunar busy working on Tor in July 2014:

Help desk
---------

Handled 50 tickets in English, 36 tickets in French and sorted around
104 spams.

Sent the Tor help desk report for June.

During the dev. meeting, we did have a short conversation with Mike and
Georg to discuss how the communication flow between the support team and
the Tor Browser team was going. “So far, so good” to sum it up.

There was also a longer session discussing how we could include
volunteers in the support team. Thanks to David Fifield, good minutes
are available:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2014SummerDevMeeting/SupportDiscussion

I still need to write down the formal inclusion process and make sure
everybody is fine with it.

We had a very nice experience with the support webchat which, together
with David Fifield, helped us tweak meek so someone behind a really
nasty filtering proxy could finally get access to Tor.
(#12625 & #12626 filled after this experience.)

A dump of support templates is now committed to a Git repository every
night. An email is sent to the team when changes so we can review them
together. The repository is available through:

    git clone https://people.torproject.org/~lunar/rt-articles.git

That helped doing a review of all the templates we currently have. We
made progress but some more work needs to be done on that front.

Another small script was meant to do periodic reminders of tickets
currently tagged with “helpdesk”, but it was deemed not useful.

Helped the team get some hardware from funds allocated by SponsorO.

Done more reviews of Sherief’s code. (#11309)

Cleaned up unused accounts from RT.

Tor Weekly News

We have a session about Tor Weekly News during the dev. meeting. Some
notes are available at:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/news-team/2014-July/001107.html

Documentation
-------------

Merged new translations and fixes of the “Tor and HTTPS” visual.
We are now at 32 languages. Some translators have been unresponsive
through emails, and have not bothered to read the comments for
translators, so a few are unfortunately unusable at the moment.

Added a FAQ entry about outgoing filters for Tor relays.

Debian packages
---------------

Uploaded pyptlib/0.0.6-1, uploaded txsocks/1.13.0.3-1,
obfsproxy/0.2.11-1, and uploaded txtorcon/0.10.1-1 to Debian unstable.

Uploaded txsocksx/1.13.0.3-1~bpo70+1, pyptlib/0.0.6-1~bpo70+1, and
txtorcon/0.10.1-1~bpo70+1 to Debian wheezy-backports.

Misc.
-----

Spent a week at Libre Software Meeting in Montpellier, lengthly report
at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-July/000593.html

Wrote a draft report describing July activity to be sent to
SponsorF.

Assembled material for the SponsorO report. (#12590)

Commented on Tor Browser UI changes. (#8641, #11199)

Answered a phone interview about the XKeyScore leak from a France24
journalist. Not very interesting result (but Tor does not look bad
either):
http://medias.france24.com/fr/vod/2014/07/26/MG054719-A-01-20140723.mp4

What’s in for August?

Supporting users, Tor Weekly News, Debian packaging, SponsorF reporting,
DebConf14, hopefully documentation…

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>