[tor-reports] Lunar's report for August 2013

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Mon Sep 2 12:27:10 UTC 2013

Hi there!

Initial plans for August and their outcome:

> Handle support requests in french.

Done. Handled 9 tickets in help-fr and 20 tickets in help.

> Attend OHM.

Done. I have written a report that is waiting from some input from Tom.

> Attend DebConf.

Done. *Plenty* of discussions around Tor. Tails was mentioned almost
every time someone needed examples of Debian derivatives. I took the
opportunity to relay Mike's work on deterministic builds. The 45 minutes
discussion was attended by nearly 30 people. The ongoing effort is
visible on the Debian's wiki [1].

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds

> Work on Tor Weekly News.

Done. Wrote a good part of TWN #5, #6, #7, #8. Edited #5, #6, #7.
Roger gave me access to blog.tpo, so I have imported all previous
editions and went on publishing the following ones.

> Get the french glossary in Transifex and start reviewing translations.

Done. I gave the reviewer status to 3 members of the french team that
asked for it. We need to get on with the reviewing process now…

> Work on ooni-probe packaging.

I have packaged what I thought was the last remaining dependency,
python-cyclone (currently waiting in NEW [2]).

Unfortunately, further examination of the HTML5 based user interface
revealed several JavaScript extra dependencies. Some will need some
extra work before they can be uploaded to Debian, due to a build
dependency chain currently leading to non-free material [3].

We agreed with Arturo that we can start by having a Debian package that
does not ship the web U.I. This is mostly done [4] but ooni-probe
setup.py now needs to be fixed to properly reflect its dependency and
install ooni-probe files at the right places.

Progress is still tracked in #8506 [5].

[2] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/python-cyclone_1.1-1.html
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=673727#37
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/ooni-probe.git
[5] https://bugs.torproject.org/8506

Some more things:

I did a shallow inventory of the status of automation in software
produced by the Tor Project [6].

Packaged rjb in Debian [7] to help Tails “streamline [their] dev /
test / release process.”

Wrote an initial version of a script to help Torservers.net dispatch its
funds to its partners according to their contribution to the network and
by country incentives.

[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/AutomationInventory
[7] http://bugs.debian.org/719301

Current commitments for September:

 * Handle support requests in French.
 * Continue reviewing French translations.
 * Work on Tor Weekly News.
 * Attend OpenITP Circumvention Tech Summit IV.

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>